Sameera Awawda is assistant professor of Economics at the Institute of Community and Public Health (ICPH) and the Economics department, Birzeit University. Awawda holds a PhD in Economics from Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Aix Marseille University. Her research interests include economic evaluation, microeconometrics, microsimulation, and economics of inequality and wellbeing. She is specialized in health economics, particularly topics related to universal health coverage, financing and organization of health care systems, health insurance, and financial health protection in developing countries. Awawda also acts as assistant coordinator, responsible for communications of the Allied Health, Environment and Development (AHEAD) Research Network.
- Abu-Zaineh, M., Awawda, S. & Ventelou, B. “Who bears the burden of Universal Health Coverage? An assessment of alternative financing policies using an overlapping-generations general equilibrium model”. 2020. Health Policy and Planning, 35(7): 867–877.
- Awawda, S., Abu-Zaineh, M. & Ventelou, B. “Vers une couverture sanitaire universelle au Sénégal : quelles sont les meilleures stratégies de financement ?”. UNISSAHEL research program. 2020. ⟨hal-02877455⟩.
- Abu-Zaineh, M. & Awawda, S. “Assessing health systems’ capacity to cope with the COVID-19 pandemic: preliminary evidence from MENA countries”. AMSE Newsletter N° 11, 2020, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Awawda, S., Abu-Zaineh, M. & Ventelou, B. "The quest to expand the coverage of public health insurance in the occupied Palestinian territory: an assessment of feasibility and sustainability using a simulation modelling framework." The Lancet 393 (2019): S17.
- Awawda, S. & Abu-Zaineh, M. "Assessing the Macroeconomic and Welfare Effects of Universal Health Coverage (UHC): A Dynamic Microsimulation-based Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) Applied to Palestine". FEM42-15. 2018.
- Abu-Rmeileh, N., Ghandour, R., Mataria, A., Awawda, S., Jabr, S. and O'Flaherty, M. “Time to act on diabetes mellitus prevention in the West Bank, oPt: Current and future direct cost of diabetes and its complications”. Obesity Medicine, 2017, 6, 18-22.
- Awawda, S. and Abu-Zaineh, M. “An Operationalizing Theoretical Framework for the Analysis of Universal Health Coverage Reforms: First Test on an Archetype Developing Economy”. AMSE working paper, n°4. 2019 (submitted to International Journal of Health Planning and Management).