Weeam S Hammoudeh is Assistant Professor at the Institute of Community and Public Health, and coordinator of the mental health unit. She holds a PhD and MA in Sociology from Brown University, and an MPH in Community and Public Health from Birzeit University. Her research focuses on the social, political, and structural determinants of health and wellbeing, particularly in conflict contexts; health inequalities; political economy of health; conflict and population processes; and how health systems and social institutions develop and shift in relation to political, economic, and structural factors. She is currently involved in research projects on a range of topics, including the health of adolescent refugee girls, deprivation and mental health, uncertainty, and health system preparedness in the COVID response. She is co-developer and co-instructor for the joint Birzeit University and King’s College London course “Qualitative Research Methods for Mental Health in War & Conflict”; consultative committee member of the Reproductive Health Working Group; and research steering committee member for the Palestine Global Mental Health Network.
- Hammoudeh, W, Jabr, S, Helbich, M, Sousa, C. (2020) On Mental Health Amid Covid-19. Journal of Palestine Studies, 49 (4): 77–90. doi: https://doi.org/10.1525/jps.2020.49.4.77
- Hammoudeh, W., Kienzler, H., Meagher, K., & Giacaman, R. (2020). Social and political determinants of health in the occupied Palestine territory (oPt) during the COVID-19 pandemic: who is responsible?. BMJ Global Health, 5(9), e003683.
- Khatib, A., & Hammoudeh, W. (2019). Youth wellbeing and its determinants in the occupied Palestinian territory. The Lancet, 393, S34.
- Hammoudeh, W., Khatib, A., Masoud, D., Mitwalli, S., & Nasr, S. (2019). Well-being and its determinants from the perspective of the Palestinian youth in the occupied Palestinian territory. The Lancet, 393, S28.
- Terzioğlu, A., & Hammoudeh, W. (2017). Coping with cancer diagnosis and treatment: a comparative study on women with breast cancer in Turkey and occupied Palestinian territory. Reproductive Health Matters, 25(sup1), 35-46.
- Hammoudeh, W., Hogan, D., & Giacaman, R. (2017). From a death sentence to a disrupted Life: Palestinian Women’s experiences and coping with Breast Cancer. Qualitative health research, 27(4), 487-496.
- Hammoudeh, W., Hogan, D., & Giacaman, R. (2013). Quality of life, human insecurity, and distress among Palestinians in the Gaza Strip before and after the Winter 2008–2009 Israeli war. Quality of life research, 22(9), 2371-2379.
- Abu-Rmeileh, N. M., Hammoudeh, W., Mataria, A., Husseini, A., Khawaja, M., Shannon, H. S., ... & Giacaman, R. (2011). Health-related Quality of life of Gaza Palestinians in the aftermath of the winter 2008–09 Israeli attack on the Strip. The European Journal of Public Health, 22(5), 732-737.
- Ziadni, M., Hammoudeh, W., Rmeileh, N. M. A., Hogan, D., Shannon, H., & Giacaman, R. (2011). Sources of human insecurity in post-war situations: The case of Gaza. Journal of Human Security, 7(3).