Terms of reference for
Reproductive Health Working Group (RHWG) Coordinator
February 28, 2019
The Reproductive Health Working Group (RHWG) is an independent and multidisciplinary network of researchers engaged in investigating health in social contexts, with special attention to reproductive health, in the Arab Countries and Turkey. Initially established in 1988 at the Population Council’s regional office, Cairo, Egypt, for over the last decade it has been hosted at the Faculty of Health Sciences, the American University of Beirut in Lebanon (FHS/AUB). Network activities include, but are not limited to:
- Holding an annual meeting;
- Conducting training schemes to strengthen research capacity, especially among young researchers in the region;
- Initiating theme meetings, focusing on topics of emergent interest and importance;
- Organizing exchange visits; and
- Providing seed grants to support the initiation of pilot research by network members.
The RHWG is governed by a Coordinator and a five-person regional Consultative Committee (CC) currently comprising members from Lebanon, the occupied Palestinian territories (oPt), Syria, Tunisia and Turkey. The RHWG Coordinator assisted by assigned staff is responsible for implementing plans and activities as defined above.
The history of the network and some recent research by the network’s members is available in a special issue of Reproductive Health Matters of work by RHWG members entitled “Gendered bodies and reproduction in the Arab countries and Turkey” (the RHWG website is under reconstruction).
The RHWG is currently recruiting a Coordinator working on a 50% basis for a period of three years. Terms of reference are as follows:
- Implementing the overall strategy and planned activities agreed upon in coordination with the Consultative Committee;
- Managing staff and network;
- Fund raising, donor relations, managing the budget, and reporting to funders;
- Coordinating with and outreach to members and expanding membership within the region.
- PhD in a social science, policy, or health field, plus at least five years’ experience in the region in research, research management and fund raising;
- Fluency in English and Arabic or Turkish (Knowledge of French is a plus)
- Willingness and possibility to travel in the region;
- Commitment to be resident in the region.
The position is funded (assuming an academic-level salary) for three years with scope for renewal subject to further fund raising by the successful recruit.
Detailed Terms of Reference are available upon request. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants should submit their CV and a two-page letter of interest and relevant experience by March 31st, 2019 to email@example.com Short-listed candidates will be interviewed most probably during the RHWG Annual Meeting that will take place in Istanbul, Turkey (June 26-29, 2019). Applications will continue to be received until the position is filled.