Training sessions in preparation for the 2017 LPHA Conference
The Institute of Community and Public Health completed several training workshops from August until November 2016, as part of the Lancet Palestinian Health Alliance (LPHA) capacity strengthening activities in preparation for the 2017 LPHA Conference on 15-16 March 2016 at Birzeit University. The LPHA comprises a collaboration of Palestinian, regional and international researchers, committed to the highest scientific standards in describing, analyzing and evaluating the health and health care of Palestinians, in order to contribute to the international scientific literature and to develop local evidence-based policies and practices. One hundred and fifty participants benefited from the capacity strengthening activities, among which 39 were men and 111 were women.
The training workshops themes included:
- Qualitative research methods. Participants learned about the various types of qualitative research methods and when to use each type. The workshop also focused on qualitative interviewing as a research tool, where participants learned interviewing, preparing an interview schedule, and how to analyze interview data.
- How to make an effective oral presentation using PowerPoint. The training focused on providing tips to reduce public speaking anxiety as well as guidelines to conduct a successful PowerPoint presentation.
- Referencing and EndNote. Participants learned how to reference academic/scientific work using different styles, in addition to learning how to use EndNote, a referencing manager software for organizing references and citing while writing.
- Introduction to SPSS. Participants learned how to create a file in SPSS, enter and manipulate data, and perform univariate and bivariate analysis.
- Abstract writing workshop according to the lancet guidelines. Participants were introduced to the guidelines used by the Lancet for abstract submission. Draft abstracts are reworked and edited following the guidelines in preparation for submission.